What makes this board so great?
1. Integrates social media in the classroom
2. Students immediately relate and feel welcome in the classroom
3. Students & parents can see their growth from September-June
4. Parents LOVE to come in and see pictures of their children and classmates
5. Students create goals and can access/remind themselves of those goals
6. Builds confidence seeing themselves displayed
7. Encourages creativity in the picture and hashtag-making
8. Helps students work on paragraph writing in a less formal writing environment
9. Can be turned into an end of the year book!
10. Easy to maintain!
My favorite bulletin board is my "Instagram Board". This is a monthIy rotating board that reflects the Instagram Application. I have used this board for the last two years. It is teacher and time friendly! During the first week of each month I take 5 minutes during snack time to take each student's pictures. Each picture has a theme that relates to the month, for example in December students brought in their favorite Christmas hat, or during Thanksgiving each student held a turkey! Each month a new picture gets added ON TOP of the last picture and creates an interactive board. My students LOVE to flip through the pictures and see their growth from September-June.
I allow my students to be as creative or silly as they want! Under each picture students use a notecard to set a goal for the month or answer a question about what we are learning about. On the first day of school I asked students to choose an inspirational quote and write about HOW they will accomplish that in 5th grade. Students also get the opportunity to make up their own hashtags at bottom on their notecard. Most of the time they are MUCH more creative than the one's I have come up with.
Comment below with your favorite bulletin board idea!
P.S. Don't forget to clarify the difference between a hashtag and number symbol! (#)
This misunderstanding created many laughs in my classroom!
I'm Laura, I am beginning my third year as a 5th grade teacher! I have a passion for teaching, engaging, and helping students take ownership of their learning! This is a place where I update and share a sneak peak of my fabulous fifth graders.