In Chapter 8 of "Holes", Louis Sachar gives an in depth description of the infamous yellow-spotted lizards.
How to integrate this activity into class:
1. Read Chapter 8 aloud to your class
2. Ask them "Why did Louis Sachar dedicate an entire chapter just to the yellow-spotted lizards?
3. Re-read chapter 8 and ask students to close their eyes and imagine what the author is describing.
4. Ask students to lock that picture in their brain!
5. I passed out blank lizards and had students color the lizard to match the picture they had imagined.
6. Then, students found a quote from chapter 8 that supported their image(an example of imagery)
7. Last, I had students copy the definition of imagery '"into" their hole.
I'm Laura, I am beginning my third year as a 5th grade teacher! I have a passion for teaching, engaging, and helping students take ownership of their learning! This is a place where I update and share a sneak peak of my fabulous fifth graders.